Tuesday, February 10, 2009

FOOD.


The concept of food can mean any number of things – nourishment, fuel, family, satisfaction. To those in the business, it can be associated with stress, work, frustration, artistic expression, the pursuit of consistency, and if you’re both lucky AND good, profits. After a lifetime of sampling, I’ve eaten the good, the bad, and ugly, and I’m very happy to add another experience to the ‘good’ category. Food – something so simple, I wish I had thought of it.



Go to food-la.com. Go to Pico and Prosser in LA and experience for yourself what food can and should be, and wonder what you were doing before. The food is fantastic – good ingredients made well without the fuss of hosts, waiters, and tablecloths. Food is very accessible:


Go to the counter – peruse the baked goods, the deli counter, the blackboard which offers sandwiches salads, pastas, and so forth. The sheet of butcher paper describes the daily specials. It all looked too good; it is a pity to have only one stomach.




My only bone to pick (although to be fair, there were no bones on the menu) was the lackluster beer selection. I’m not faulting any of the beers on display, but they only cover one section of the beer palette – the mild flavored lager category. Anderson Valley’s Oatmeal Stout is a notable exception, and I went to purchase one to accompany my meal, but my surprise I was alerted that I could not legally consume it on-premise. This is alarming to me, since I consider beer to be food! I was told that Food has a license to sell it, but not to serve it. They inherited their license from the PW market that owned the space before them, and did not alter it to allow for serving when they took over the space.



I spoke with Judy, the owner, and she said she has plans to petition for a license to serve in the coming months. In the meantime, I will suggest a few beers that they should carry in the meantime. I can think of a few beers I would like to have with delicious food, but now I’m going to open the floor to you, internet – what beers would you want to drink in a take-out situation?

2 comments:

  1. I like the Sam Adams chocolate beer (of all the commercial chocolate beers), but the very best chocolate beer I ever tasted was brewed by the author of this blog.

    ReplyDelete