Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Celebrate Winter Salad


I was invited to a dinner party, and asked to make salad. I knew I would make the dressing on location, and I was within walking distance of a Vons (aka Safeway), so this is what I bought:

a bunch of red radishes
two clementines (cuties)
1 carrot
1 pound of organic mixed greens
sunkist almond accents - sliced almonds with a butter toffee coating
1 anaheim pepper
1 anise bulb
1 square of treasure cove wax-coated blue cheese
organic seasoned croutons

Here is what was done to the salad 'greens' : all went in to a large bowl.

Wash your vegetables.

radish - tops removed, quartered by my mother
clementines - peeled, sectioned, seeded, and 4 sections reserved for dressing, also by my mother
carrot- shaved with a vegetable peeler by my business partner, zack
pepper- split, seeded, and inside of flesh scraped (to minimize the spice), chopped.
anise- split in half longitudinally, and the inner core was removed. then cuts were made from the bottom up to make pieces aprox. 1 inch wide, then sliced at 1/4 inch intervals.
blue cheese- wax removed, cheese crumbled by hand and served on the side.

The Dressin'

These things were added to a bowl

olive oil - 2 tablespoons
dry marsala wine - 1 tablespoon
2 dashes hot sauce
Worcestshire sauce - 1 1/2 tablespoon
Stone Ground Mustard - 2 tablespoon
red wine vinegar - 1 tablespoon
balsamic vinegrette - 1 tablespoon
juice from 4 clementine segments
juice from 1/6th of a lemon
juice from 1/6th of a lime

The dressing was added to everything previously mentioned (except the greens and cheese)
after 10 minutes, the greens were added, the salad was tossed, cheese served on the side, and then it was consumed, in entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment