Good Day Lamburgers (Four 1/4-pound burgers, ~600 calories each)
I had a good day. On the eve of the election, I became a plumber at work. I’m such an average Joe, I don’t have a lot of time, and I have some ground meat and a loaf of bread and an onion. I’m going to make some toast burgers. OK, Lamb isn’t average, but it averages out to be delicious.
1 lb. ground lamb
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoning blend (I used a rib rub)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
9 slices 100% whole wheat toast
4-8 lettuce leaves
1 large tomato
fry oil, skillet.
1 onion
ketch, mustard, mayo, hot sauce.
This can easily be accomplished in 11 steps.
11. Toast one piece of bread extra toasty, but not extra burnty.
10. When that’s done, toast your bread if you want a toasty burger.
9. Season meat with above seasonings.
8. With a knife, scrape toast over meat to make crumbs, then fine chop rest of bread. Mix in with meat.
7. Make 4 flatties (flat patties)
6. Medium heat your home skillet, add some oil, add your first patty. Mine can hold 2 patties comfortably, so when I flip my first patty, I add my second, and so on to infinity, or 4, whichever comes first.
When patties are done, place on a rack or plate with paper towels to drain.
…meanwhile…
5. I’m all kinds of lazy for dressing each burger individually with ketchup, mustard, mayo, and hot sauce, and it’s too easy to go overboard. So I sauced them up in one bowl:
1 part mayo, 1 part ketchup, 1/2 part mustard, 1 dash hot sauce.
…and then…
4. Slice an onion. Mine made me cry, probably because of my blunt knife and love for onions. I cut it in half longitudinally, and then perpendicular to the onion axis, to make onion semi-circles.
…and then…
3. Slice your tomato. The thinner the better! If you hate sog, first slice tomato in half horizontally, and press juice out with your finger…into your mouth. No one is looking.
…now…
2. When all your burgers are cooked to your liking (ground meat should have no inner color, or even better, reach 160 F internally), don’t throw away the sauce juice that came out of them. Sauté the onion in it. Damn son/girl, that is high class.
1. Assemble your burgers, I go bread, sauce, patty, tomato, onion, lettuce, and bread.
How it do?
Wish list- If you have fresh herbs, finely chop some mint, basil, and garlic. Mix in with the raw meat. Serve with mint jelly.
I was told once that if you leave the top part of the onion on (the little sprouty thing...I don't know what it is called)... anyway if you leave it on instead of cutting it off right away it won't make your eyes hurt so bad.... I don't know if it is true or not..but so i've been told.
ReplyDeleteNot cutting off the sprout may help, as it is more 'fragrant' than the root, but that would interfere with my peeling regimen - lop off the top and bottom, and make a slit up the side to easily remove the outer-most layers. It works on ogres too.
ReplyDeleteI have heard many theories on tear prevention, but these are the combination of things that I use:
A sharp knife in a ventilated kitchen - the sharper it is, the less cells are damaged, and there is less gas produced. If the gas produced has nowhere to go but your eyes, it will. Open a window!
A Cold Onion - colder liquids are less likely to become gases, so keeping your onions in the fridge keeps your eyes a little drier.
Stay Away, and Fast- I keep my head as far away from the board as possible. Martin Yan showed me that most people get really close when they are chopping, and take their time. That is the recipe for a tearful onion.
The rinse- I don't do this anymore, but one of the techniques I heard was to rinse the cut halves of the onion under running water. It seemed to help.
If you have a serious problem with this, get some swimming goggles to cook with. If you forget to wear them, when your eyes get really teary and painful, you can fill them with milk and apply directly to your eyes.
TMI?