Monday, September 15, 2008

Drug Induced Monday

*Teeth*

Today I went to the dentist for the second time in 5 days. I had a root canal last December, and now it needs a crown. So instead of a molar next to my wisdom tooth, I have a cube of tooth with a string around it. I have to go back in 3 days to get a cleaning, a filling, and hopefully my crown. I paid $437 for the pleasure.

I hate going to the dentist. It's like getting graded on how well you take care of your teeth, except bad grades equal pain and latex in your mouth. Not OK. Brush, Floss, Rinse, for your own good.

*Work*

My current job is to maximize sugar extracted from malt during brewing. Today I saved more money at work by taking water from one part of the process and using it in a different part. I'd like to tell you about it, but I'm pretty sure it would be grounds to fire me. I saved 1% today, I have 4 more to go before I reach 100% efficiency. I'm tracking the sugar at every step of the process, and I will make extraction as efficient as possible.

*Tech*

I found out about the 3M pocket projector via slashdot, to be released September 30. This idea is a win in my mind. If the product is good - great image resolution, long battery life, large image size, and reasonable cost - Coupled with a mobile video player, this could bring tv and internet out of the living room. Surfaces everywhere become windows to the world, and if you can hook it up to the web, it redefines the mobile office. Even more interesting is their mobile phone projector, which looks like even more fun. I could justify buying one if I can use it to make sales pitches - which I'm strongly considering.

*Cartoons*

I find pictures for sad children wildly entertaining. It has such a dry sense of humor, tinged with a sadness and frustration at the way of the world that I can relate to. I've had this dream. The simple style is inspiring, a great example of how critical good writing is, and how little imagery is needed to convery a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment